Tuesday, May 6, 2008

My Next Step

In the process of recording my first CD I knew that I knew nothing specific about recording. So where should I start?

I decided to make a list of what I thought I was going to need to get this project finished.

1. Play List
2. Instruments
3. Computer
4. Software
5. Studio time
6. Mastering
7. Advice

This was the first list that I made and it was not the last. I knew that anybody that had any level of experience could add many more items, but I didn't have anybody to talk with yet so the list was what it was. This was going to change over time as I began to meet folks on-line and when I started the mastering I spent quite a bit of time speaking with those guys. I should have picked out a mastering studio before I started. By not doing so I spent quite a bit of time at the end of the project fixing some mistakes that I could have known about in the begenning. It cost me time and money.

The play list was pretty simple...at first. Then I read the law.

I had a choice to use real people or midi instruments. Then I looked at my budget.

I had a Dell PC that would be just fine. Until I read the requirement for the recording software.

I didn't have any "real" software yet but in my research I new that I was going need some real help in deciding what to use.

After checking for the cost of all the above I concluded pretty rapidly that studio time might not happen.

I didn't have a clue about mastering. It looked as if I was going to have about 5 different ways to take care of that including not having the music mastered.

And finally....someone to give me some advice.


It really did not take me long to decide that getting someone to help me lay out this CD was really important. So the "list" pretty much went to the side until I did some serious research and some serious discussion with somebody I could trust.

In my next post I'll share the advice that I received from one of the big shots in the recording industry that I accidentally met.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

There is a lot to think about when you go to make a CD! With the computer it isn't just the cost of the software but it's tricky to set up and the learning curve can be steep. Then you fond out your computer is underpowered for the job!

I'm looking forward to the next installment of your tale.

Prepare Your Fingers For Playing The Guitar

Prepare Your Fingers Properly For Playing The Guitar Prepare Your Fingers Properly For Playing The Guitar by Kevin Sinclair

Without the correct preparation the fingers are likely become rigid and sore when playing the guitar. The fingers have to be flexible and capable of bending into unusual shapes in order to play certain notes and chords. The stiffer they become, we continue to force them to play, getting tenser as we go along which in turn affects our fingers. So is there anything we can do about this problem?

The answer to this question is yes. We need to ensure our fingers are properly prepared before we begin. An ideal way to do this is to perform finger exercises which will add strength to our fingers even whilst we are not actually playing the guitar. Normally quite difficult chords will be so much easier to play simply by using a soft rubber ball to carry out squeezing exercises to stop our fingers becoming stiff.

As well as strength, fingers need to be supple too and exercises such as typing or playing games using the keys of your computer keyboard will keep them moving. It is important to give the third finger more exercise as traditionally it is the weakest of them all. You will see proof of this fact when you place your hand palm downwards on a level surface and try to lift the third finger without moving any of the others. This weakness can be overcome by practicing using your third finger for tasks where you would normally use your index finger.

When you are watching TV make a point of wiggling your fingers by way of exercise. Let your fingers do the walking up and down the chair arm, put your hands into tight fists and then release each finger stretching it as you go. Take a few minutes to stretch your arms above your head and then allow them to drop by your side. With loose fingers shake your hands and feel the tightness fade away.

Just before you start playing your guitar, give your hands a good shake to get rid of any tension, then warm up by doing some scales. Start slowly at first, then speed up as you continue playing. If your hands or fingers are cold you should get them to the right temperature before you begin. You can do this by soaking them in a dish of warm water.

If blisters are a common occurrence after you have been playing your guitar, you should let them heal before plucking or strumming the strings again. There are plenty of other things you can be getting on with while you are waiting for your blisters to disappear such as brushing up on the theory of music. This means you will not waste your "out of action" time. Of course, you can avoid blisters by playing your guitar a little at a time to start with. Your fingers will harden eventually and you should have no problems in the future. You can always tap your fingertips on a hard surface whenever you get the opportunity as this will also help them to become firm along with exercising your fingers at the same time.

Kevin Sinclair is the publisher and editor of MusicianHome.com, a site that provides information and articles for musicians at all stages of their development.

Article Source: ArticleRich.com

Guitar Amplifiers - Choosing the Right Type

Guitar Amplifiers - Choosing the Right Type Guitar Amplifiers - Choosing the Right Type by Chris H.

A musician who takes their craft seriously will invest in the best music equipment possible. This process is no different for the guitarist in need of a good quality guitar amplifier. If you are new to the world of guitar amplifiers, don't let the various brands and models confuse you. The basics below should help you on your way to making the right choice.

There are four basic options when choosing a guitar amplifier. Amplifiers are available in tube, digital, hybrid, and solid-state. Tube amplifiers were the first amplifiers in use. While this remains the older model amp, many guitarists prefer it as it produces a more natural sound than the other models. The output is also greater and is much louder in comparison to the other models. However, since tube amplifiers are built with glass tubes, transporting them needs to be done with care to avoid breaking the tubes.

Digital amplifiers are one of the more expensive types of amps due to their ability to mimic various ranges of amplifier sounds. You can find lower-end versions of the digital amplifier, however you get what you pay for, and the sound quality will be lower. Many guitarists enjoy digital amplifiers as they are able to experiment more with different styles and sounds.

The hybrid guitar amplifiers do exactly as the name implies. They are a combination of the tube amplifier and solid-state amps. Unlike the sound quality you can achieve with a regular tube amplifier, the more natural sound will be lacking. The hybrid amplifier is a good option for those who want a decent amp but are on a budget.

Solid state amplifiers are simply made with transitors rather than the glass tubes. This may be a preference for those who tote around their amplifiers often, as their isn't as much worry about breaking the tubes. Sound quality on these amplifiers are decent but still not as favored as the original tube amplifiers.

Before choosing your next guitar amplifier, you may consider asking to try out the various models before you buy. Don't hesitate to ask to try before you buy. Most music stores are more than happy to cooperate in order to help in the buying process.

Find a huge selection of new and used amplifiers and save money on your next guitar amplifier purchase by visiting Amplifier Depot.

Article Source: ArticleRich.com